Betty Bowers Defends Unsaved Harlot Miss Cleo

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Mar 4 21:32:12 PST 2002

http://www.bettybowers.com

First They Came For Miss Cleo

And I Said Nothing

As America's Best Christian, it concerns me greatly

that the FCC is cracking down on people who charge a great deal of

money for what they can't deliver. No, I'm not referring to Arnold

Schwarzenegger, John Travolta or Sylvester Stallone, but that would-be

Caribbean sorceress, Miss Cleo. According to the secular news, the

federal government has joined with state attorney generals in trying

to shut down a woman who inveigles the public by purporting to know

their future. After one charming glass of wine with her unsaved

accountant, however, it became clear to me that Miss Cleo should be

more renowned for making fortunes rather than telling them.

As a True Christian(TM), I've never had cause to use any supposed

clairvoyant's services. I don't speak to the dead. They are naively

unaware of this rather specific slight, as I don't tend to speak to

most of the living either. Nevertheless, are these harmless

tête-à-têtes so terrible? To be honest, I find the fact that people

credulous enough to spend $5-a-minute to hear vague prognostications

from a phone-bank of women one paycheck away from making cold-calls

for telemarketers somewhat comforting. If they weren't tied up on the

telephone ignoring common sense by making small-talk with someone

imbued with less supernatural powers than Darrin Stevens on Bewitched,

they might be in the car behind mine ignoring the red light dangling

before us.

Once Miss Cleo is sent back to behind the counter at Taco

Bell, will the FCC, in its stated desire to protect the American

public from chicanery, turn its attention to other people on TV who

hawk the future like it was theirs to sell for an exorbitant fee? I

am, of course, talking about Pat Robertson. What of the televangelists

who promise to cure everything from cantankerousness to cancer in

exchange for a generous "love offering"?

Will the Attorney General of New York swoop down and padlock all the

Catholic confessionals? After all, Miss Cleo is only promising the

hair color of next Thursday's fling, not a rendezvous with God,

eternal life and a charmingly appointed mansion of gold overlooking

the Milky Way. Indeed, when it comes to having the ingenuity to

package the future and market it to the public for a retail price,

Christianity makes Miss Cleo look like quite the hapless amateur. Once

tithes and other contributions to our rather prosperous enterprise are

spread out over the course of a light afternoon of confessions or

faith-healings, Christianity's minute-by-minute fees renders Miss Cleo

a below-market bargain.

As the CEO of a Fortune 500 Christian ministry, I admit to harboring

disdain for any woman who indulges the amusingly gullible public's

quaint hankering to know the unknowable -- and parlays it into cash or

real estate. That is, after all, my demographic. Nevertheless, while I

have always considered Miss Cleo's syntax and mode of dress criminal,

it worries me that she may be criminally liable for duping an audience

verily begging to be deceived and fleeced. To blame Miss Cleo for

someone else's desperation is tantamount to jailing the man driving

the train that Anna Karenina found herself under.

© Mrs. Betty Bowers 2000-2002 All Rights Reserved