Too Fucking Many Good Books, was Re: David Lynch

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 4 21:54:19 PST 2002

keeping the police out of it is
>only a beginning, and not a very substantial beginning, in "freeing" the
>public to choose among all those conflicing standards/decorums.

Quite true in general, and a point insisted upon by J.S. Mill, who made the pressures of convention and conformism almost as much a target in On Liberty as he did state repression. However, I was talking to Charles,w ho is a fan of state repression. I think it is a substantial beginning to keep the cops out of it. Then we can argue about how to democratize the media and the universities, etc., something which there isn't much point in doing if the authorities get to enforce theie own standards by jailing or shooting people who deviate from them.