borderline personality

Alec Ramsdell aramsdell at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 6 13:07:15 PST 2002

Carrol Cox wrote:

> joanna bujes wrote:
> >
> > At 01:37 PM 03/06/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> > >The psychoanalytic literature on Borderline
> Personality is very interesting,
> > >and calls for a political interpretation, mostly
> because it captures the
> > >details of advanced degeneration of the bourgeois
> ego.
>
> First -- the diagnosis is a suspect one;

I've heard the same, that it's a dubious classification. As such, it would be a case of the analyst gaving birth to a new illness as a way of treating his own anxieties of diagnosis. Also, why would it be endemic to the *bourgeois* ego--couldn't working class folk suffer from it as well.

. . . it can certainly
> have political
> _effects_: it (or the symptoms so identified) has
> the effect of making
> the person quite incapable of placing blame on
> structures rather than
> individuals.

Which, I would think, is the case with most mental ailments and their treatments. Is this not the case with depression?

Alec