Nietzsche and the Nazis

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Mar 7 08:37:31 PST 2002

Chris Doss wrote:

> That's the doctrine of divine judgement and damnation, not personal
> immortality.

Most obviously, yes, but universal salvation and eternal bliss raises its own question about divine 'goodness': If everyone is going to end up in paradise, what in the hell [sic] was the purpose of tortureing billions of people for millions of years, it IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHAT HAPPENS on earth. And universal salvation is equally good to damnation as a foundation for "Kill them all and let God sort it out." It opens up the world envisaged by Shakes'peare's Gloucester, "As flies to wanton boys, are we to the gods, / They kill us for their sport."

Why should not Goneril tear out Gloucester's eyes for sport if both are headed for eternal bliss? And some Buddhist king did create a mountain of skulls -- so even Buddha's non-violence can be rather violent!

Carrol

There was a great deal of controversy in the early Church about