was liberal democracy

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Thu Mar 7 22:46:28 PST 2002

Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 15:48:09 +0000 From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com> Subject: Re: liberal democracy

Folks I'll be ending this particular correspondence here:

>You want to be the forever good guy fighting the forces of evil in the
>courtroom, defending the ungrateful marxists, etc. etc., deeply cynical,
>but still romantic enough to believe that these values on which the system
>is based still have some meaning, etc. etc.

That's true.

Tahir: Now that we've established your essential conservativism, there's only a couple things left to say.

Liberal democracy is only there when the
>masses can be persuaded to consent to the rule of the ruling class; when
>they don't consent liberal democracy goes out of the window.

That's a real problem, I grant you. It better not be afatal objection, because it's the central problem for the left in a democratic society.

Tahir: It's an insoluble one for your notion of "left", insoluble only in the sense that there is no project here at all that can ever succeed. And as you have already admitted, above that's the way you like it. After all the romantic quest of the shining night must be a perpetual one, as you have admitted. Stars and stripes forever.

Don't fucking condescend tome, you twerp.

Tahir: Noted.

>Now Justin, without wanting to be arrogant, I really will only continue
>with this if you can take the discussion to a slightly higher level than
>what you've done so far.

Fuck off, pardon my French.

Tahir: No I won't pardon it. I'm surprised this sort of thing is allowed on this list, but maybe it's only allowed for pillars of the community. Go fuck your mother you rightwing stiff.