Drinking mores

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Fri Mar 8 14:06:20 PST 2002

At 02:44 PM 03/08/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>None of this is considered alcoholic behavior in Russia, though most would
>be at least suspect in the US. An "alcoholic" in Russia is someone who
>drinks all day, every day.

Yeah, last time I went to visit my grandfather in Romania, he (the most sedate and classy old-school gentelman you could imagine) greeted me at seven in the morning with a little shot of slibovitz (sp). It was homemade; it was divine. I also noticed that there is no such thing as sitting down to breakfast/ lunch/dinner/coffeee/etc without some alcoholic accompaniment. I guess this is fun for those who can tolerate alcohool. My tolerance, alas, is almost zero. But my question is "how come everyone is not obese"? Alchool has a lot of "empty" calories.

Joanna

Joanna