Drinking mores

Cian O'Connor cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 9 05:08:05 PST 2002

--- joanna bujes <joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com> wrote: > At 02:44 PM 03/08/2002 -0500, you wrote:

> Yeah, last time I went to visit my grandfather in
> Romania, he (the most
> sedate and classy old-school gentelman you could
> imagine) greeted me at
> seven in the morning with a little shot of slibovitz
> (sp). It was homemade;
> it was divine. I also noticed that there is no such
> thing as sitting down
> to breakfast/ lunch/dinner/coffeee/etc without some
> alcoholic
> accompaniment. I guess this is fun for those who can
> tolerate alcohool. My
> tolerance, alas, is almost zero. But my question is
> "how come everyone is
> not obese"? Alchool has a lot of "empty" calories.

Because they don't drive everywhere, have jobs which require a bit of phsyical exertion and don't have all the labour saving devices taken for granted in the economic miracle that is the west?

By AA standards I, and a lot of people I know, are alcoholics. I wonder how much of the definition is a hang up from old US puritanism?