U.S. Works Up Plan for Using Nuclear Arms

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Sun Mar 10 23:53:00 PST 2002

I guess Cuba was bad for you guys but I was naturally relieved when they dismantled the nukes in Turkey as a result. The one that really made me an insomniac was the NATO preemptive strike policy and the Cruise-Pershing deployment in Europe. I have a very vivid memory of how hopeless things seemed back then so I'm not that worried about the current nuke tough talk. They're trying to resurrect batllefield nukes but in practice those are as useless as Carlyle's big bertha cannon. The US has ample conventional means for instantly wiping out massed enemy formations and battlefield nukes have too low a yield to take out entire theatres. Besides, who'd want to? As for deep penetration, the Pentagon is coming up with a new conventional humdinger practically every month. This nuke talk, like for star wars, is just hard sell for hugely expensive and totally ineffective weapons systems that benefit only the weapons-making dinosaurs. Re first use policy, you'll find that even in sim war games commanders overwhelmingly avoid it. Unfortunately, a marginal scenario is now conceivable where Russia and China are given advance notification by the US that it's going to nuke some peasants in a remote country but frankly, I don't think even Dubya with his (gently descending) approval ratings can afford the backlash.

Hakki