fundamentalist nut spurred tub mom

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 11 09:42:32 PST 2002

> [wonder if Newt Gingrich will blame this in Xitan
> nuts the way he
> blamed similar things on the 60s]
>
> New York Post - March 11, 2002
>
> PREACHER 'PREYED' ON YATES
> By MEGAN TURNER

This adds an interesting twist to the story, doesn't it? I have only been following the story as reported on TV, so I dont know that much about it, but I have a question. I believe Ms. Yates had had severe "post-partum" during her previous pregnancies. Why didn't she, in light of that, practice some sort of birth control? Was it not recommended by doctors? (I understand she had seen doctors for the problem( Did she refuse to do so on religious grounds?

It seems at least plausible that these "preachings" had a lot to do with her actions. Even if that is true, I fear that this incident will be blamed on the "moral laxity", evil of the mother, rather than on the evil of fundamentalism.

I suppose Andrea Yates had a biological predisposition towards "post-partum" but it would be interesting to know how much this fanatacism exacerbated the problem.

How are most Americans reacting to this case? Are they becoming more understanding of "post partum" or are they just seeing "post partum" as an excuse to cover up evil?

Thomas

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx