Primakov doctrine

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Tue Mar 12 04:13:49 PST 2002

Wow. Yevgeny Primakov, who has a reputation in Russia for being just about the closest thing to a non-corrupt politician there is in the country (and who was almost President, as an aside), comes across in this thing as the spawn of Satan. Daring to countervene US policy! The fiend!

I'm perplexed about something, though. In discussions in Russia, the third proposed member in the Russia-China-X triad is almost always identified as India, not Iran of all things.

Anybody out there with some knowledge of Indian foreign policy have any comments?

Chris Doss The Russia Journal ---------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:04:44 -0800 (PST) From: Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com> Subject: Primakov doctrine (1)

I didn't know what the Primakov Doctrine was, so I looked it up. For those who don't want to bother reading about it, it comes down to Russia developing tighter relations with its former southern crescent border and far east---Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and China, as hedge against the US. Below is the typical cold war take. It is worth reading since it explains (indirectly) what the latest all the US nuclear saber rattling is intended to confront, and possibly give a larger rational for expanding beyond the war in Afghanistan.

Chuck Grimes

ps. This didn't get posted the first time, probably because of the length, so its going out in two parts. - ------------------------------------------------

The "Primakov Doctrine":

Russia's Zero-Sum Game