Primakov doctrine

Micheal Ellis onyxmirr at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 12 06:17:56 PST 2002

>Wow. Yevgeny Primakov, who has a reputation in Russia for being just about
>the closest thing to a non-corrupt politician there is in the country (and
>who was almost President, as an aside), comes across in this thing as the
>spawn of Satan. Daring to countervene US policy! The fiend!
>
>I'm perplexed about something, though. In discussions in Russia, the third
>proposed member in the Russia-China-X triad is almost always identified as
>India, not Iran of all things.
>
>Anybody out there with some knowledge of Indian foreign policy have any
>comments?

that seems a little odd...i was just reading about this in Eqbal Ahmads book "confronting Empire" but the relationship between China and India is very adversarial....i doubt that has changed much since that book was written. infact there was alot of anti chinese rhetoric when India was doing nuclear testing. much of it has to do of course with kashmir and the BJP not wanting a peaceful solution prior to the BJP india and china were heading towards "closer and friendlier" ties.

~M.E.