Primakov doctrine

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Mar 12 07:19:40 PST 2002

From: Chris Doss <chrisd at russiajournal.com>

Subject: RE: Primakov doctrine

> > I'm perplexed about something, though. In discussions in Russia, the
third
> proposed member in the Russia-China-X triad is almost always identified as
> India, not Iran of all things.
>
> Anybody out there with some knowledge of Indian foreign policy have any
> comments?

I am not sure what is perplexing about this. India was the closest ally of the Soviet Union during the Cold war. It was China that was in the US camp. India's relations with Russia retains importance even today. I am skeptical about the prospects of the so- called Triad (Russia, China and India), but that's a different matter. What Iran has to offer Russia?

Ulhas