Primakov doctrine

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 12 07:34:55 PST 2002

Ulhas Joglekar wrote:

> I am not sure what is perplexing about this. India was the closest ally of
> the Soviet Union during the Cold war. It was China that was in the US camp.
> India's relations with Russia retains importance even today. I am skeptical
> about the prospects of the so- called Triad (Russia, China and India), but
> that's a different matter. What Iran has to offer Russia?

I would suppose that an alliance among Russia, China, India, & Iran would be no stranger today (whatever its serious internal tensions) than an alliance linking the USSR, Britain, & the U.S. was in the 1940s. The earlier alliance linked enemies together against what was the major threat to the world in the 1940s; the projected alliance would link disparate powers in an alliance against what is the major threat to the world today.

Carrol