Ace on The Jews

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Tue Mar 12 17:56:11 PST 2002

At the risk of piling on, let me just advise the untutored that the expression "The Jews"* doing ANYTHING is prima facie anti-semitic. It is impossible for "the Jews" to do anything, besides be jewish. If every last media magnate was jewish, it would still not follow that "the Jews" controlled the media. Jews are not a corporation.

The same follows for "the Arabs," "the Palestinians," "the Blacks," etc. I seem to recall Carrol making this point w/respect to Dave McReynolds and Palestinians, though if you know Dave M. you know it was more a mistake than an expression of malice.

To be honest, I have to say I can't be sure I haven't employed the same usage w/respect to other groups. But if I did, I'm pretty sure I wasn't dumb enough to make a column out of it!

Cockburn has really slipped down a rung, and he wasn't that high to begin with.

mbs