Cockburn proffers aid and comfort to Israeli crimes

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 12 18:41:38 PST 2002

"Max B. Sawicky" wrote:

> At the risk of piling on, let me just advise the untutored
> that the expression "The Jews"* doing ANYTHING is prima facie
> anti-semitic.

I think this is correct, but see below.

> Cockburn has really slipped down a rung, and he wasn't that
> high to begin with.

Whether it reflects actual anti-semitism or not, it was pretty fucking stupid.

Real genocide is threatening in Palestine -- and ideologically the Zionists' major weapon is to make "Jew" and "Zionist," and therefore "anti-semitism" and "anti-Zionism," synonyms, and for that reason I consider Cockburn's terminology here to be offering aid and comfort to Israel.