So Long Saddam

BARTELBYVQF at cs.com BARTELBYVQF at cs.com
Tue Mar 12 20:29:01 PST 2002

In a message dated 3/12/02 3:22:29 PM, entheogens at yahoo.com writes:

<< Well, Dennis, I CERTAINLY have no problems with Saadam being overthrown. I DO have a problem with it being done by the CIA (US) though. I may be wrong, but if the US takes Iraq, then who's next? Iran. Iran would be surrounded by US forces in that case. I dont know that my speculation on this matter is sound, perhaps someone more knowledgeable on the region could comment.

Besides the obvious, but fading gradually, post 9-11 initiative for US military action what circumstances make this year better than the last 10 for the US to eliminate Saddam? The Kurds are still the largest ethnic group with no homeland, the Shi'ites in the South are presumably still symapthetic to Iran. Is it that the last 10+- years between the capture of Ocalan and sanctions, etc. have beaten these groups down to the point that the US can install the Bizarro Saddam, and pose for some photo ops, without worrying that it will be less 'stable' or US-simpatico?

mcapri