So Long Saddam

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Wed Mar 13 09:57:30 PST 2002

ennis Perrin wrote:

> > I am afraid that you are correct on this matter.
> > So do you feel the Left is wasting its time
> > concentrating on anti-war movements in this instance
> > when there is not a strong enough popular movement in
> > the country to successfully counter Sadam or, for that
> > matter, the US? That the Left should save its
> > strength for other battles...choose its fights???? I
> > am not asking this in a snide way. I really want to
> > know what you think.
> >
> > -Thomas
>
> I think that the "left" (whatever that means these days) should concentrate
> on Israel and Palestine, for that is the real tinderbox, a bad situation
> that grows worse by the hour. Since Americans finance Sharon's murderous
> policies, and since a fair number of them resent it (for good and bad
> reasons), there is a tangible connection that can be referred to and dealt
> with. Iraq is too abstract, I'm afraid, for many Americans who see Saddam
> and little else. Plus, nothing, and I mean nothing the "left" does in the
> coming weeks is gonna do squat to prevent Bush from overthrowing Saddam.
> Let's just hope that when it happens, it comes through a coup where
> dissident officers slice Saddam's throat instead of an all-out US invasion,
> which could prove disastrous for the country and the region, especially if
> rebel groups inside Iraq are not included.

I think the American Left is big enough to tackle these issues, if we ignore the naysayers in our midst who don't see the big picture.

We can stop the U.S. invasion of Iraq. What we need is more civil disorder on American streets. Perhaps a few good symbolic demos like A20, but we need to be organizing resistance in the U.S. that forces the American government to reconsider their options. It would also make sense to network with similar resisters in othe countries.

The U.S. thinks it can fight the world and win. Let's show them otherwise.

<< Chuck0 >>

Personal homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/index.html Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)