So Long Saddam

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Mar 13 10:56:09 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Munson" <chuck at tao.ca>
>We can stop the U.S. invasion of Iraq. What we need is more civil disorder
>on American streets. Perhaps a few good symbolic demos like A20, but we
>need to be organizing resistance in the U.S. that forces the American
>government to reconsider their options. It would also make sense to
>network with similar resisters in othe countries.
>The U.S. thinks it can fight the world and win. Let's show them otherwise.

Why would demos stop an invasion of Iraq? This mythology of the rally as all powerful weapon is bizarre. A demo does not deny funds to the military machine, it does not ground bombers, or shut down army bases. What power is exercised by a demo by itself?

Demos can be nice media events, but only if the media covers them and convey their message. I participated in mass rallies against the first Iraq war-- didn't do much at all as I remember.

How about we take all the time of those who prepare for the rally, attend the demo, and the time many spend in jail and doing work getting them out-- instead, skip the demo and spend the same amount of time door-knocking to talk to folks about why war is a bad idea and global justice is a far better approach to assuring global security.

-- Nathan Newman