Ace on The Jews

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 13 11:06:35 PST 2002

AC is not an anti-Semite, and neither is Chomsky, altho' the latter is frequently charged with that, as you know. (For one of the more scurrilous examples, see Werner Cohn, "Partners in Hate.") But each is frequently charged with giving aid and comfort to anti-Semites. (And, for all his filial piety, I think there are those who would find reference to Cockburn's "inherited attitudes of the British upper class" risible.)

Cockburn's "going on about the The Jews" in the column in question is a matter of pointing out endemic anti-Jewishness in the US -- a matter that even Nixon knew was impolite to mention. I think what upsets people (not just on this list) is Cockburn's going on about the Jewish state. --CGE