So Long Saddam

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Mar 13 12:47:41 PST 2002

"Demos, as opposed to mere Dems." A nice phrase.

In the _Radical History Review_ (Issue 82) that arrived yesterday there is an extraordinarily fascinating article, "What Legacy from the Radical Internationalism of 1968?" by Max Elbaum. And in tracing the gradual defeat of the movement of the '60s over three decades, he almost parenthetically gives an excellent account (reference the "McGovern Years") of the serious damage that Nathan and others like him can do. Not that the Movement would not have been defeated in any case, but nevertheless the McGovern campaign contributed in a major way to the victory of "Reaganism" a decade later.

There will never be a mass progressive movement in the U.S. unless we succeed in smashing the "left" wing of the DP.

And it occurs to me this constitutes another reason for resisting those who love to yelp "fascism" at every reactionary move of the U.S. If _fascism_ (as opposed to numerous other varieties of capitalist authoritarianism) were a real threat, then it would make sense for the left to surrender once more to the left liberals.

Carrol