Anti-Jewish Friends of Israel, Part 2 Re: Ace on The Jews

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed Mar 13 21:39:39 PST 2002

Edmund Hanauer -- the director of SEARCH for Justice and Equality in Palestine/Israel <http://www.searchforjustice.org/>, the speaker whom we recently invited to give a talk at the Ohio State University, as you may recall -- brought up the topic of collaboration between Zionists and often anti-Semitic Christian evangelicals in his talk. While Max says it's all because "most American Jews support a Jewish state and accept the need for some measure of realpolitik as the price for that, including alliances with obnoxious people," comparable to the majority of Ohio voters' support for Republicans, I think that most American Jews (many of whom are more liberal than conservative) are actually unaware of the degree to which those who claim to represent American Jewry, as well as Israel, have made a marriage of convenience with Jew haters (not just garden-variety "obnoxious people"!). I think Jewish leftists can stir up a meaningful controversy if they call out Zionist leaders on their habit of sleeping with enemies.

There has been a rational, anti-right-wing/pro-peace Israeli/Zionist left for 20 years, with its own auxiliary in the U.S. Has its own magazine (Tikkun, w/the infamous Michael 'Politics of Meaning' Lerner). This is all old shit. My co-religionists are not that simple-minded. I can easily imagine telling someone of this sort of information, and if they didn't know they would say so what? Isn't there an ulterior motive, and look how many Jews are in the ME compared to those hostile to their presence.

Perhaps this sort of thing is known best of all to Israeli's. That the information content of the Israeli press is vastly superior to the U.S. in all matters of the ME is an old story.

Sharon got lots of votes from people who didn't like him. I can't see how they could have been misinformed. Mistaken yes, misinformed no. It is possible to make mistakes despite the availability of information. For the same reason, I find plausible now stories to the effect that Sharon's political decline is in progress. I welcome any correction by those closer to the situation.

mbs