Vegans kill animals too

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 14 12:38:02 PST 2002

Kelley wrote:

>i think he's referring to Lifton's thesis: the nazi doctors had a
>thang for making the national body healthy by cutting out the
>cancerous jew.
>
>when we start talking healthy society, etc. this kind of analysis
>isn't a cheap shot, at all.

Lifton, yes, and also Robert Proctor's Racial Hygiene: Medicine Under the Nazis, which has a fascinating chapter on the health fads that spread through Germany in the 1920s. The worship of organicism, purity, and health, as sweet as it sounds, has a sinister side - the cancerous Jew, the dirty foreigner, the sickly cripple, are too easily analogous to the bad lipids and chemical impurities of health faddist discourse.

We've been through this before, though, so I'm not sure there's much good in going through it again.

Doug