Dicks n' Dough

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Fri Mar 15 00:20:56 PST 2002

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 sui.generis at myrealbox.com wrote:
> also, now that the archives have been completely removed from googles
> storehoouse, i'm practing a little email image management. myrealbox.com
> for anything that a client might flip out about!

A brief check at google confirms that that's just not so. If you want to be sure of hitting the google's search results for the archive machine, just use the term "site:nuance.dhs.org" in your google search.

For example, the search "site:nuance.dhs.org LBO" produces 8980 results.

A significant problem, such as it is, with using the google archive is that links to the symlink directory "current" are broken. Current is a symlink to the index document of the current month. Once that month is over, current points to the new current month (which makes it a good bookmark for reading lbo-talk [1] on the web), but google unfortunately sometimes keeps it around.

The easy way to fix it manually is to fake my directory convention in the URL, replacing the word "current". I'm abbreviating year and month as YYMM, so March 2002 is 0203, etc. Every article in the archive starts with the listname, month, and year, so figuring out how to replace the "current" directory manually in the URL shouldn't be difficult at all.

Regards, Marco Archive Guy

[1] To use it, create a bookmark to http://nuance.dhs.org/lbo-talk/current/index.html - it will always be the start page for the current month of LBO-Talk. I may be the only person to actually use it, but I find it useful.