Dicks n' Dough

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Fri Mar 15 09:06:26 PST 2002

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Kelley wrote:
> well, they don't always behave, those robots.

No, they don't. But google's does. I've worked with them before; they've always been good about things. They also have a temporary-block process to knock things out of the archive; surf the google corporate site and you'll come to it eventually.

> not surprising since, 1. it's doug's list and no one can do anything about

Doug does tend to forward me stuff sent to him regarding the list archive. The intro page off the LBO main site also mentions me. I suspect he'd ask me if moving LBO-Talk's archive off search engines ever became a priority.

I do admit that I might read about a quarter of what comes down the list, and that usually too late to participate. (I do grep the spool for "archive" every week or so). So I might, and frequently do, miss things.

However. The archives are mainly useful because they are searchable. Keeping a robots.txt on and forcing external search agents off would just force me to put a search system, like htdig, in locally. If the consensus goes that way, I have no trouble doing that, but until a consensus exists I'll stick to the status quo.

(Ah, the irony of advocating the status quo on LBO-Talk... :)

Counterrevolutionarily yours,

Marco