Input Requested (Re: Dicks n' Dough)

sui.generis at myrealbox.com sui.generis at myrealbox.com
Fri Mar 15 09:34:46 PST 2002

At 12:06 PM 3/15/02 -0500, Marco Anglesio wrote:

>However. The archives are mainly useful because they are searchable.
>Keeping a robots.txt on and forcing external search agents off would just
>force me to put a search system, like htdig, in locally. If the consensus
>goes that way, I have no trouble doing that, but until a consensus exists
>I'll stick to the status quo.
>
>(Ah, the irony of advocating the status quo on LBO-Talk... :)
>
>Counterrevolutionarily yours,
>
>Marco

here's a workaround that we're using at pulp culture: write a script to obscure our email addresses. the name you use--your from name--will still be visible, just not your addy.

1. This would help protect privacy. How? Plausible Deniability.

2. This would cut down on the chances that our email addresses are harvested by spam bots. We've all recently been spammed by gwbush.com. It's only getting worse.

3. We can still search the archives using Google and we don't have to set up a password protected archive. Convenience!

4. Doug will still get traffic to the list from the searches done by others who find out about the list through a google search on any number of the bizillions of brilliant things we discuss on this list.

5. It is an easy solution to implement.

6. Also, if maintaining archives is a hardship for you, there are others on the list that can help.

Sui.G