Input Requested (Re: Dicks n' Dough)

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Fri Mar 15 10:34:12 PST 2002

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 sui.generis at myrealbox.com wrote:
> here's a workaround that we're using at pulp culture: write a script to
> obscure our email addresses. the name you use--your from name--will still
> be visible, just not your addy.

That's a great idea. If there's enough demand, I'll think about doing it. If you feel like modifying hypermail to suit that option, please do, and I'll use the modified version. As it is, hypermail is written in C, and while I do know enough C to get by during code review it'll certainly take some time to make a fix on a program I've never before looked at.

As for the spam bots, your email address is already out there, on a mailing list, and it'll continue to be used as mailing lists are bought, merged, scanned, sold and resold. Obscuring your address is damage control, not a miraculous anodyne.

I'm not sure about the utility of obscuring email addresses. Everyone here, I guarantee, has already been placed on a hundred spam lists. If you think that your employer would have trouble with your using a work email address to post to LBO, then don't do it. If you're afraid of being blackballed for your revolutionary views, I can remove discrete inflamatory posts. (OTOH, if you want me to scrub your name from the archive ... well, don't count on it happening any time soon.)

As an aside to those who might be worried, a google search on me reveals that I am, or at least was, as cuckoo as cocoa puffs. Nobody whom I've told seems to care; I'm sure that managers in my company know (it is, or was, a dot-com, and they've demonstrated the ability to use google in other contexts) and I've received nothing but the pain and agony of being overpaid and entrusted with important work and regularly promoted. I am willing to admit that your mileage may vary.

Finally: anyone who is willing to help with the archive can help. If you want to write a feature-rich list archive program, or can suggest an alternative to hypermail, go to it. I'm sure you all know that I'm not exactly replete with spare time, and while constructive criticism is valued, constructive help is even better.

m.