Regressions and Advances (Was: Re: Walzer on the Left)

gadfly at exitleft.org gadfly at exitleft.org
Fri Mar 15 13:41:38 PST 2002

Quoting Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>:
> Kendall Clark wrote:
>
> >Instead, the pro-sex Suzie Bright, Pat Califa element of feminism
> >became dominant, and now porn is more mainstream and more widespread
> >than ever before.
>
> Unlike you, I count this as firmly on the side of progress. Who needs
> a bunch of censorious prudes speaking in the name of feminism?

aren't you assuming that kendall doesn't like porn as much as you do? your quote above seems to remove the context he attempts to establish: that porn "if the reports are to be believed" contributes to rape, etc. and i am guessing like kendall you are not for that. so, are you saying that porn does not contribute to rape, or that even if it does, the causation can be removed while keeping the porn?

--ravi