Regressions and Advances (Was: Re: Walzer on the Left)

Seth Ackerman sia at nyc.rr.com
Sat Mar 16 16:07:16 PST 2002

Kendall Clark wrote:

> Unlike porn, the point of neither the Bible nor slasher movies is to 1)
> sexually arouse (primarily) men, and 2) to provide a source of
masturbatory
> and sexual fantasy material. Neither slasher movies nor the Bible are
likely
> to lead to sexual fetishization, either; erotic material seems very likely
> to do so -- though I don't know of studies to suggest that, I think it
makes
> rough prima facie sense.

Should this apply to all forms of expression? If I circulate an Internet polemic about the depredations of multinational corporations, should I be held responsible in civil court if someone smashes a Starbucks window or kidnapps a CEO?

Words do sometimes lead to real-world violence, but it was decided a long time ago that the job of the State is to stop the acts of violence, not suppress the ideas that may have led to them. Otherwise, we no longer have freedom of speech. But that's not much of an issue for you, is it? You want to have the right to rail against your foes but others - corporations, horny men, and other oppressors - shall not.

Seth