Dicks n' Dough

Matt Cramer cramer at unix01.voicenet.com
Fri Mar 15 18:06:51 PST 2002

Hmmmm. As I understand it Marco puts up an archive via hypermail on the www. Google crawls it and it can come up in search results, just like any other website.

> So now I do use a different address,
> but you've put all my old posts out for googling without my
> consent. I posted them thinking at most, there would be an
> archive for subscribers, not whole fucking planet. Thanks a
> lot.

[...]

You obviously lacked the sophistication to build a secure online pseudonym for yourself. Doug's a journalist, not a cypherpunk, so why should he be obligated to do it for you?

If you care about your privacy, use a web-based mail thing with few connections to your real identity or other online identities that can be easily connected to you. If you are worried about billion dollar megacorps and gov't secret police tracking you down, your best bet is to rely on mathematics. Make a pseudonym with something like nym.alias.net and send all your mail PGP encrypted through sets of mixmaster remailers. Use an open-source peer-reviewed version of PGP and be sure to generate a good amount of noise through the remailers to prevent traffic analysis.

None of that is easy, and there is no silver bullet to ensure online privacy. But email is a post card, and while it is unfortunate that you assumed your postings wouldn't be viewable by all sorts of folks, it was an unfounded expectation. It is considered bad form to publicly post private email but unless there are X-No-Archive headers in your email to a mailing list it is commonplace for it to show up in a web archive.

Matt

-- Matt Cramer <cramer at voicenet.com> http://www.voicenet.com/~cramer/ PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 icq: 120941588

yahoo msg: beyondzero123 "We don't know if it was a case of international terrorism... or road rage."

-FBI Agent Frank Perry, commenting on the three-state alert regarding a car containing 'middle eastern men' which alledgedly tried to run a fuel truck off the road.