Dicks n' Dough

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Fri Mar 15 22:35:56 PST 2002

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 at 9:06pm Matt Cramer wrote:

> Hmmmm. As I understand it Marco puts up an archive via
> hypermail on the www. Google crawls it and it can come
> up in search results, just like any other website.

woooooooossssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh!

> You obviously lacked the sophistication to build a
> secure online pseudonym for yourself. Doug's a
> journalist, not a cypherpunk, so why should he be
> obligated to do it for you?

No, I did not lack the sophistication, I lacked the appropriate amount of cynicism. This is not cypherpunks, and paranoia was not listed as required in the charter for membership.

The domain I am posting from has exactly one user, the owner, who can easily be determined by one simple whois query. With slightly more (damn little) klew, you could determine that this server is hanging off of a network that the domain owner runs for his employer. Kewl! Aren't you clever, you now know who no Onan is! BFD.

There are degrees of anonymity and privacy; it is not an all or nothing proposition. Sometimes all you care about is that a particular association is not easily made, and that is good enough. You might say, that is pretty good privacy, if it is all you require.

> If you care about your privacy,

This is actually more an argument about respect for other people, not that I can actually put a price tag on that for you, so I don't actually expect you to understand that. But I had expected a bit more from my 'left' brethren.

<cypher-drivel stripped w/o irony>

-- no Onan

Undefeated, everybody goes home