Dicks n' Dough

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 16 14:48:08 PST 2002

>From: "Cian O'Connor" <cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk>
>
> --- budge <budge at el-pleasant.org> wrote: > On Sat, 16
>Mar 2002 at 2:12am Cian O'Connor wrote:
> >
> > > --- Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> > > A lot of employers (including mine) hire people to
> > > check these kinds of lists before hiring people.
> >
> > what are you, some kind of faggot? what have you
> > got to
> > hide?
>
>The fact that I have unorthodox political views for
>one thing.

I just did a Google search on "Carl Remick," and the very first hit to pop up was an LBO archive entry of Jan. 4, 2002 (why that particular date, I don't know) where, by an odd coincidence, I was responding to a post of yours, Cian. In that post I wrote:

"I have nothing good to say about American society whatsoever. I just think that the US will be an even nastier nation to live in, and a nation more dangerous to the rest of the world, if it follows in the footsteps of the UK, seeking global salvation through military adventurism."

That's not the type of statement that would have burnished my candidacy as a job applicant during my recent search for a new position as a PR writer. But is what I believe, and it's a position I would defend vigorously if anyone ferreted it out and challenged me on it. I guess I'm a sap to put any faith at all in the right to free speech, but as much as I dislike actually existing US democracy, I take democratic ideals seriously and am willing to exercise my nominal rights even if it's foolish to do so. A life that consists of nothing but temporization isn't worth living, IMO.

Carl