lbo-talk-digest V1 #5836

Daniel Davies dsquared at al-islam.com
Mon Mar 18 03:01:01 PST 2002

kelley wrote:

>dude, what i told you was that you were fair game. you >dismissed joe's
>legit concerns and suggested he was protecting his bourg >privacy. that's
>really absurd given that you know that he lives in texas and >wouldn't
>exactly be on the best dressed list if people saw half of >what he wrote
here.

*chuckle*

Of course, there is another real point at issue here; social ostracism is a significantly more real threat in a small community than in a big one, which is another reason why the air in cities is freer.

Regarding other points on the hicks & inbreds thread, the case of the country of Iceland is decent evidence that prolonged in-breeding has few or no significant physical ill-effects, the country of Ireland is decent evidence that rural communities are more socially conservative than urban ones, and that's enough on the whole subject from me, I think. I knew that it was all going to be downhill from those poems.

'Course, I wouldn't go as far as HL Mencken did ...

http://www.albion.edu/history/tchambers/mencken.htm

dd