Poll

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Mon Mar 18 01:43:27 PST 2002

You know, a somewhat obnoxious solution is to make the effacement of addresses a list subscription option. Those who wish to have their addresses deleted would have to re-subscribe to get picked up by majordomo as accounts with only list name and no address, then those would automatically be archived as such.

The problem is that would shift the configuration effort to the list owner, rather than the archive. I am not familiar with exactly how e-mail list servers work, but it seems to me, it wouldn't be that difficult to strip off the subscriber's address, prior to resending to listmembers. After quickly looking through the FAQ for Majordomo, it sounds like fiddling with `Approved' variable in the moderated options for bounced mail might be used for something like this.

I think my local mail system requires a return address, but since all Lbo mail is resent from dont.panix.com, that means the original sender's address isn't required. The dont.panix majordomo essentially re-wraps the mail received and then re-sends using its own always valid return address.

Doug wouldn't have to do much except exchange whatever configuration information needed with Ravi, who I presume knows how to do all this.

One problem here would be archive sort problems if anything in the headers except the original senders address was modified before it got to the archive.

Well, just a suggestion to get around quibbles over the `tyranny' of the majority.

Chuck Grimes