The War at Home Re: Regressions and Advances

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Mar 19 09:37:42 PST 2002

>Miles Jackson wrote:
>
>>It's pretty sneaky.
>
>And not terribly conclusive, from what you describe. The relative
>durations of shocks given to subjects in an experiment don't tell
>you much about whether a man will commit rape, do they? Do they
>compare the results of watching a war or slasher movie? Depictions
>of violence against men vs. depictions of violence against women?
>
>Doug

I don't know if watching a war makes men more likely to commit violence against women, but getting trained to fight one, as well as fighting one, appears to have a measurable impact on the rate of violence against women. Here's a report on domestic violence in the US military.

***** ...Reliable figures or estimates of domestic violence in the U.S. military are hard to come by. As in the case with civilians, many women do not report abuse and many military police do not know how to deal with domestic violence. Official reports are considered underestimates.

CBS News' 60 Minutes report [titled "The War at Home," aired on 17 January 1999] estimated that the rate of domestic violence in the military is five times that in the civilian population. The recent report says only that among 700,000 military families, incidents reported to military agencies are down from 22 per 1,000 couples in 1997 to 17 per 1,000 in 1999. The military figures do not count unmarried "intimate partners," which are included in most civilian studies.

Current studies by Richard Gelles of the University of Pennsylvania, among others, estimate domestic violence in the military is at least two to three times higher than among civilians....

<http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/479/context/archive> ***** -- Yoshie