The War at Home Re: Regressions and Advances

Cian cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 19 10:34:45 PST 2002

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote: >
>Miles Jackson wrote:
> >
> >>It's pretty sneaky.
>
> I don't know if watching a war makes men more likely
> to commit
> violence against women, but getting trained to fight
> one, as well as
> fighting one, appears to have a measurable impact on
> the rate of
> violence against women. Here's a report on domestic
> violence in the
> US military.

Though possibly the kind of people attracted to a career in the army are more likely to be violent towards women?

Its not just the army though. Prison warders are also far more likely to commit violence against women. There was a great book on "Prison Towns" in California which went into great detail about this. Unfortunately I've lost my copy.