Query on Quote Arrows in Forwards, was [Fwd: Fwd: Sludge

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 19 14:43:57 PST 2002

For forwards, Netscape offers three options, Inline, quoted, or as attachment. The quoted option produces texts such as the text quoted first below:

>Date: Wednesday, 20 March 2002
>
>Sludge Report #134 - Dr Don Spots A Dark Cloud
>
> In This Edition: Dr Don Spots A Dark Cloud Behind The Silver
>Lining
>
>NOTE: Authors of this report will be anonymous and wide ranging,
>and occasionally finely balanced. Indeed you are invited to
[CLIP]

But the Inline produces text such as the following:

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Re: Brock Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 14:00:00 -0500 From: pms <laflame at aaahawk.com> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com References: <p05100303b8bbc8002d86@[216.254.77.128]>

I love Buzz-Flash. I have a tee-shirt. It's a place to send non-readers who are becoming suspicious. Of course I warn them it can get kinda goofy. A =================

It seems to me clear that the latter is preferable. I don't see why so many forwards come to the lists unnecessarily disfigured with those quote arrows. dPerhaps the forwarder received them in that condition?)

If the froward is, as it were, an on-line leaflet, which for political purposes deserves further wide forwarding, the sender of the post ought to exercise the same care over appearance (and ease of further forwarding) that is recommended in the preparation of leaflets.

Myself, unless the information is more or less earthshaking, I immediately delete posts with an excess of quote arrows.

Carrol