Naomi Klein in Argentina

Juan Jose Barrios jota at netgate.com.uy
Tue Mar 19 17:29:31 PST 2002

First, the money those people are getting as part of their salaries is worth half its nominal value a second later they get it (without inflation); so there is no boost in demand, believe or not....

Second, what NK is suggesting (and SHE IS RIGHT) is that ALL OF THE ARGENTENIANS WHO NOW ARE GETTING part of their salries in local (provincial) currency WILL NOT BE PAID IN ANY CURRENCY AT ALL IF IMF'S RECOMMENDATIONS ARE FOLLOWED, AND THAT WILL BE WORST THAT A POTENTIAL HYPERINFLATION, DONT YOU THINK?

Of course if you have someone like former Pres. Menem telling everyone and at everymoment that hyperinflation is around the corner....then you may have a few points of inflation.

Brad, would you consider likely a hyperinflation scenario in today's Argentina??? 80% excess capacity, depressed salaries, no money around, no markets for exports, no investment......where is the dumb inflation going to come from ?? just speculation??? Some industries are augmenting production instead of prices, oil industries are in battle with President Duahlde to increase gas prices due to devaluation....that is pure specualtion. So I dont see hyperinflation (rising prices more than 15% montly during 1 year or more) around the corner....

We need to go beyond pure Economics here..It does not take much of my imagination to imagine a different country.......