al-Qaeda and Taliban

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Wed Mar 20 06:56:20 PST 2002

Hi,

So, Charles,

We clearly disagree, but I do know something about the role of apocalyptic belief in religiously-based social and political movements, and also intelligence agency abuses, and how conspiracism undermines a structural left analysis. I have listed just some of my related articles below. Again, I question your need to claim I am clueless rather than just agreeing that we disagree. I am currently taking my ISA paper: "Mad as Hell: Right–wing Populism, Fascism, and Apocalyptic Millennialism" and turning it into a chapter in an edited book on Alienation, a collection of Marxist and Critical Studies approaches. It includes a section on the role of apocalypticism in populist Islamic fundamentalist movements.

-Chip Berlet

<<SNIP>>

> When the so-called serious scholars become list participants,
> then I'll read
> them on LBO List. Until then it just seems like you trying to
> take over a
> thread you know next to nothing about. So sign up one of your
> sources to LBO
> list and let them waste their time with you.
>
> Charles Jannuzi

Here's what I have written on subjects related to the discussion. I look forward to your list.

Books

Berlet, Chip, and Matthew N. Lyons. (2000). Right Wing Populism in America: Too Close for Comfort. New York: Guilford Press.

A core thesis of the book is the importance of the role of the apocalyptic style in mobilizing mass movements.

Chapters in Books

_______. (1996). “Three Models for Analyzing Conspiracist Mass Movements of the Right,” in Eric Ward, ed., Conspiracies: Real Grievances, Paranoia, and Mass Movements. Seattle: Northwest Coalition Against Malicious Harassment [PB Publishing].

_______. & Margaret Quigley, (1995). “Theocracy & White Supremacy.” In Chip Berlet, ed., Eye’s Right! Challenging the Right Wing Backlash. Boston, South End Press.

Journal Articles & Conference Papers

_______. (1998). “Mad as Hell: Right–wing Populism, Fascism, and Apocalyptic Millennialism.” Paper presented at the 14th World Congress of Sociology (XIVe Congrès Mondial de Sociologie), International Sociological Association, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 1998.

_______. and Matthew N. Lyons, (1998). “One Key to Litigating Against Government Prosecution of Dissidents: Understanding the Underlying Assumptions.” Police Misconduct and Civil Rights Law Report, in two parts, Vol. 5, No. 13, JanuaryFebruary Vol. 5, No. 14, MarchApril, West Group.

_______. (1997). “Fascism’s Franchises: Stating the Differences from Movement to Totalitarian Government.” Paper presented at the Annual Meeting, American Sociological Association, Toronto, Canada, August.

_______. (1995). “The Violence of Right-Wing Populism.” Peace Review, Vol. 7, Nos. 3 & 4, pp. 283288. Oxford: Journals Oxford, Ltd.

_______. (1993 [1987]). Hunt for Red Menace: How Government Intelligence Agencies and Private Rightwing Countersubversion Groups Forge Ad Hoc Covert Spy Networks that Target Dissidents as Outlaws. Revised. Cambridge, MA: Political Research Associates.

Encyclopedia Entries

Contributing editor, articles (including Apocalypse) in Encyclopedia of Millennialism and Millennial Movements. Richard A. Landes, ed., (Berkshire Reference Works; Routledge encyclopedias of religion and society). New York: Routledge, 2000.

Articles (including Apocalypse, Nationalism) in Encyclopedia of Fundamentalism. Brenda Brasher and Jeffrey Kaplan, eds., (Berkshire Reference Works; Routledge encyclopedias of religion and society). New York: Routledge, 2002.

Articles (including Surveillance Abuse) in Encyclopedia of Crime and Punishment. Berkshire Reference Works. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, forthcoming.

Articles (including Apocalypticism) in Encyclopedia of American Conspiracy Theories. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-Clio, forthcoming.

Articles

_______, “Countering Genocidal and Hate Movements in the United States,” The ISG Newsletter, The Institute for the Study of Genocide, No. 24, Winter 2000, pp. 12-17.

_______, “Fearful Zealots: A Combustible Mixture,” OpEd, The Boston Globe, 8/13/99, p. A23.

_______, "Dances with Devils: How Apocalyptic and Millennialist Themes Influence Right Wing Scapegoating and Conspiracism," The Public Eye, Vol. 12, Nos. 2 & 3, Fall 1998.

_______, “Apocalypse Soon: Are You Targeted as an Agent of the Antichrist? As the Year 2000 Approaches, the List Grows…” The Boston Globe, 7/19/98, Focus Section, p. 1.

_______, “Clinic Violence, The Religious Right, Scapegoating, Armed Militias, & the Freemason Conspiracy,” The Body Politic, in two parts, Vol. 5, No. 2 February 1995, and Vol. 5, No. 3, March 1995.

_______, “Armed and Dangerous,” The Boston Globe, 1/6/95, Op-Ed, p. 23.

_______, “Big Stories, Spooky Sources,” Columbia Journalism Review, May/June 1993.

_______, “Friendly Fascists: The Far Right Tries to Move in on the Left,” The Progressive, June 1992.

Sklar, Holly, and Chip Berlet, “NED, CIA and the Orwellian Democracy Project,” CovertAction, Winter 1991-1992 No. 39.

_______, “Right-wing Conspiracists Make Inroads into Left,” The Guardian (NY), September 11, 1991, p. 3.