al-Qaeda and Taliban

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed Mar 20 15:27:08 PST 2002

This article isn't exactly non-conspiracist. It doesn't discount the possibility of a conspiracy, except insofar as it alludes to analyses by means of that terminology. If I had to guess, it would be that the author believes some of this stuff and but chooses to present it indirectly as what others are saying.

There is a difference between a conspiracist tale wherein Israel or the CIA engineers the hijackings, and all of the following, for which I have no particular evidence but I think are completely plausible:

* the U.S. Gov had contacts with the Taliban and/or OBL, possibly related to oil, that it has not informed us about;

* that the hijackings had something to do with the outcome of these contacts;

* that present U.S. deployments have not *only* to do with fighting the Taliban and OBL etc., but also with long-standing and overarching geo-strategic considerations, in part related to the geographic distribution of oil reserves and potential routes of resource transport.

I don't see any of these latter three points as 'conspiracist.' They could be wrong. Or they could all be spot on, and the U.S. mission to Afgh would still be justified as reponse to 9-11. I think these are separate questions. Jumbling them together probably leaches credibility from the political- economic issues more than not, since the issue of U.S. motives in the region, comprehensively considered, is spattered with improbable, unverifiable tales. Maybe there is a conspiracy to allege conspiracy.

mbs