all that glitters

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Fri Mar 22 09:59:01 PST 2002

First, it should be noted that gold cannot provide a refuge from monetary collapse. There is not enough gold in the world to equal the Japanese GDP. Gold is mainly a mental refuge. The only real refuge it could provide is for those few people who own gold during a panic-induced speculative bubble. Even then, those people would have to re-convert those gains into currency. Gold is the least "real" kind of money there is.

Maybe the rise of gold price has more to do with the concerted effort to drive the price of gold down that the GATA lawsuit claims has been going on since '96. Involves bullion banks, dirivitives, BIS and Greenspan, for starters GATA seems to be mostly conservative gold bugs who I THINK believe the left is trying to destroy the economy. They seem to put Greenspan, Clinton, Ruben, and now perhaps even Bush, in this group. I think I've seen them relating this whole mess to an over-valued dollar and exporting inflation(where left and right converge?). Currently they think these huge short positions that have kept gold down are about to blow-up. Perhaps beneath the ideology they've stumbled onto something, though if that's the case I'd bet that the Big Cigars (Goldman, Morgan) that made money on the way down are now in position to make money on the way up.

If gold had acted like any other commodity and it was $35/oz after Breton Woods(I think), how much would it be now?

Oh yeah, another claim of the gold bugs is that production doesn't even keep up with physical demand and somehow this is what the Washington Accord and the govt gold auctions are all about.

ps. what if some crazies didn't want 90% of the people to have any money? like in a movie?