all that glitters

dlawbailey dlawbailey at netzero.net
Sat Mar 23 08:12:37 PST 2002

The basic problem with all gold-bug ideas is that gold is far too rare to be significant in the world of money. It's not just that production is small. When last I looked, all the gold ever produced in world history amounts, at current prices, to less than one year's French GDP. Nobody cares how little gold there is because nobody needs what we have now. Gold has no more real relationship to money than platinum, copper or zinc. It's usefulness in the world of money is basically as a convenient, traditional, now largely dollar-denominated hedging instrument for currency/commodity risk. There are other hedges.

Horde gold, drive down the futures price, destroy all the gold in the world - what does it matter? It's a small industry. I don't why any banker would even think about the gold price or supply when he makes credit decisions. I'll bet Alan Greenspan barely glances at the price of gold when he's reading the data. It's just not relevant to the world credit system. Value comes from work and natural resources and money comes from credit on that value. Gold doesn't enter into it.