Bobby Fischer on 9/11

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 22 13:52:49 PST 2002

Chuck Grimes wrote:

>But you realize the usefulness of publishing a quack like Fischer, is
>to discredit any reasonable opposition to the whole war mongering
>mentality sweeping the US; to discredit any examination of the
>underlying reasons for attacks against the US; and the general
>discredit the whole background of anti-american sentiment around the
>world. It is as if to say, see, they are all like Fischer,
>anti-semitic, irrational craziods. So the self re-enforcing warmth
>flows, that yes, we the US are right after all.

That's absurd. I forward all kinds of stuff to this list, some of it because I agree with it, some of it because I don't, some of it because it's brilliant, some of it because it's ludicrous. Bobby Fischer is a celebrity of sorts, and what he said was bizarre and fascinating. Billions of bytes of good antiwar stuff has gone out on this list.

As Ella Taylor wrote in the LA Weekly piece on KPFK:

>SEVERAL YEARS AGO I WENT HIKING IN Anza-Borrego with a group of
>middle-aged leftist women like myself -- or so I fondly imagined.
>When we stopped to rest, I produced a copy of The New Republic, and
>was immediately hauled over the coals by a woman who professed
>herself shocked that I would lower myself to read such a right-wing
>rag. I told her I didn't see how I could expand my critical thinking
>if I only read stuff I already agreed with. Off she flounced in a
>huff, leaving me to imagine her reaction had I brought along the
>National Review.

Doug