Bobby Fischer

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 22 14:54:31 PST 2002

joanna bujes wrote:

>I think Chuck was exactly right about how publishing such tripe is
>in fact a way of censoring (by pretending to do the opposite)
>rational and principled opposition to the war and to the U.S.
>support of Israeli policy.

Well that's not true either of me, who forwarded it, or Harper's, which published it originally. I can't think of another glossy mag that's as critical of Israeli policy as Harper's, in fact. The issue that the Fischer interview is in contains a couple of hysterical letters condemning Seth Ackerman's map of Palestine in the December issue - which Seth answered quite well - and Dan Lazare's piece on the new archaelogy that shows that most of the Old Testament story of ancient Israel is fictional.

So do you & Chuck want to rework your critique?

Doug