85 per cent of all journeys by car

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Mar 22 16:41:23 PST 2002

> More likely the effect would be on final products
> rather than intermediaries like truckers, since the
> latter could deduct the taxes paid as a cost of
> doing business.

Truckers deal with higher taxes on a regional basis directly; when heading into LA (for instance), they often fill up in Nevada for the round-trip to make sure they don't have to pay the higher prices in California. Which of course makes prices higher in California for those who can't pop over to Nevada for a fill-up.

This all gets back to the reason why we have to get rid of individual income taxes: those who _can_ avoid taxes _will_ avoid them. So if all that's left to pay taxes is corporations, avoidance won't be such a big deal.

At least the taxes will get paid.

/jordan