Israel to apologise for cancelling Phalcon deal -

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Fri Mar 22 17:09:37 PST 2002

The Times of India

THURSDAY, MARCH 21, 2002

Israel to apologise for cancelling Phalcon deal

PTI

BEIJING: Israeli Foreign Minister Shimon Peres will visit China this week in an effort to normalise bilateral ties that were affected by the botched Phalcon deal, the state media reported on Thursday.

"I'm going to express our regret and apologies for the phalcon issue," Peres told the official Xinhua news agency ahead of his March 24-26 visit to China which was announced here today by the Chinese foreign ministry.

The cancellation of the Phalcon airborne warning and control systems (AWACS) deal under US pressure in July 2000, shortly after Chinese President Jiang Zemin's visit to Israel, had threatened bilateral relations, but the two sides recently reached an agreement to solve the problem, Xinhua said, referring to the 350 million dollar compensation provided by Israel last week.

"We have had a difficult relationship in the issue of phalcon plane. And I hope a new chapter will be opened again," Peres said.

"We caused the problems. We do not blame the Chinese. We blame ourselves," he said.

Commenting on the upcoming visit by the Israeli minister, Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Zhang Qiyue said the two sides will exchange views on bilateral relations and international and regional issues of common concern.

Welcoming Israel's withdrawal from occupied territories, Zhang expressed the hope that Tel Aviv would make a comprehensive withdrawal at an early date so as to ensure favourable conditions for peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians.

Copyright © 2002 Times Internet Limited. All rights reserved.