ice shelf collapses

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Sat Mar 23 13:32:58 PST 2002

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Doug Henwood wrote:
> People have been saying this stuff for years, and it hasn't yet come
> to pass. It probably will, but the marginal product of the latest
> version doesn't seem too high. Haven't read the book though.

That's the nature of resource exploration, though; as things become more scarce, the pressure for resource exploration becomes much stronger. New technology has certainly helped by increasing the amount of resources retrievable, especially offshore.

By and large increases in technology have invalidated the assumptions on how much and where resource is retrievable. The models that show resource declines necessarily don't allow for big technological changes. As such, I don't think that the forecast is necessarily false; it's certainly based on a valid premise, that the supply of oil is finite.

Marco