Walzer on the Left

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 24 10:36:11 PST 2002

Fact is, there is a strong
> > crrection between more higher ed and greater (practical) conservatism.
>
>I know of similar studies, and the correlation breaks down when students
>get
>to graduate school.

True, but not professional school.

> > Bet Free and Cantrill's hypothesis holds of them, though.
>
>I spoke with "them" on a daily basis and couldn't discern much support for
>liberal policies like a more progressive income tax and the expansion of
>welfare.

How am I supposed to refer to third persons except in thirdperson plural? Yeah, I know the UP is pretty conservative.

I don't know very many people back home who
>opposed the rollback of AFDC in any manner. Considering that Michigan
>implemented some of the most draconian measures in its attempt to "reform"
>the system, this seems to contradict the claim that most Americans support
>progressive policies. Or do you know of any polls showing strong
>opposition
>to the end of welfare as we know it?

Look at the data, shows that people think that those unable to support themselves ought to be helped, etc. If you puta racial tinge in the qiestons, it tilts the other way.

> > Ferguson has a very good book called The Golden Rule which gives the
>obvious
> > and true answer in great detail with a lot of empirical support. The
>golden
> > rule is: Who has the gold, makes the rules.
>
>And the next obvious question is why this answer has more predictive power
>in the US than Western Europe.

They have strong labor movements in Europe, cosnsequently the rich have less gold.

jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx