Walzer on the Left

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Sun Mar 24 14:10:13 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2002 10:36 AM Subject: Re: Walzer on the Left

> Look at the data, shows that people think that those unable to support
> themselves ought to be helped, etc.

Support for a set of unexplicated policies with vague ends does not tell us anything meaninful about policy leanings.

> If you puta racial tinge in the
> qiestons, it tilts the other way.

No, the fact that respondents project a racial tinge onto questions about AFDC etc. is what tilts the results in the opposite direction.

> They have strong labor movements in Europe, cosnsequently the rich have
less
> gold.

I'd also mention the role of electoral differences and the greater prominence of romantically individualistic norms in America. But then, I'd probably be wrong to do so.

-- Luke