Questions for Justin and Luke

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sun Mar 24 16:33:49 PST 2002

``...This is strange. Davidson argues (I think wrongly) that most of our beliefs have to be true. You seem to suggest that most of them are in fact false. Any candidates?..'' Justin

``..I see no reason to think that one (by virtue of superior intelligence, education, culture etc.) is likely to be almost always right and the other almost always wrong.

Candidates for false belief: in my own case, I believe that is possible that Kant revealed the true foundation ethics and Friedman is right on economics. If so, almost every ethical or political argument I make is wrong...'' Luke W

This exchange suggested a series of questions I've got for both of you. Do you think there is a foundational ethics, and that that foundation is rational?

If there is no such foundation, then what of the philosophical justifications for law, governance, and formal social institutions?

On the other hand, if it is only a question of power, might makes right, then what of humanism, social justice, and progressive reform?

Chuck Grimes