Diagnosis: Supersize

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sun Mar 24 16:38:12 PST 2002

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Chuck Grimes wrote:

> diseases produced by the same consumer culture---the same consumer
> culture that keeps Empire working to spread itself and its diseases
> world wide.

The consumer culture produces no ideologies. The ideology of the total system is its daily reality: the way things are, at a given point. The consumer culture is a vast, heterogenous admixture of the good, the bad, and the ugly; it can produce wish-fulfillments, occasionally even dialectical insights and genuine contradictions, but it can't produce ideologies (though the objective structure of the film industry does, all the time, by steering resources towards certain genres, certain stars, certain scripts, etc.).

Where is this Empire you keep talking about? All I see is a bunch of Wall Street rentiers scurrying to cover the scratch on their Eurodebts.

-- Dennis